Thursday, April 15, 2010

Red or White?

All I know about wine, I learned in a cellar in Wales. There was this little basement Italian restaurant in Aberystwyth where I went to dinner with the girl I was dating. I remember the red and white checked table cloth, and that was the first time in my life when I asked a waiter for a bottle of the house red.

That made me feel cool. You know you're an adult when you ask for bottles of the house red.

Eli taught me that you hold a glass of red wine with your hand cradling the bowl, and you hold a glass of white wine by the stem, so the warmth from your hand doesn't warm up the wine.

That's all I know. Naturally, I've raised that knowledge where ever I can:

"Would you like a glass of wine with dinner?"
"Sure! Did you know that you should hold a glass of white wine by the stem?"

That's pretty much the extent of what I know about wine. I have gathered, though, that there is a rumor that one should serve white wine with fish. This presents a puzzle.

I'm planning on cooking a fish meal on Saturday, probably something with tilapia, since I've cooked that before. But always, I've used red wine. Red wine is just so . . . red. It looks more substantial than white wine. So I've selected red wine to accompany anything I've eaten: pasta, poultry, pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc.

But because I want to make this meal "right", I guess I'm supposed to pick out a white wine. What would go well with tilapia? Any suggestions?

Stay tuned for the post-mortem on the white wine experiment on Saturday night . . .

2 comments:

Christy said...

Pinot Grigio or a Sauvignon Blanc are often more subtle, in my experience (not that I know much) and work well with fish. But, a good buttery chardonnay might work well depending on the plans for the tilapia too... Hrm. How's that for completely useless advice?!

That said, I think you can always serve red wine if you prefer, even with fish. The internets may say otherwise: http://fishcooking.about.com/od/howtochoosefreshfish/tp/wines_and_fish.htm

http://www.winedin.com/pair_food_wine.php


Good luck!

Devin said...

Hey, thanks for the advice! The Sauvignon Blanc worked well, and we discovered that winedin.com site yesterday morning. Good stuff!

I think I might try the chicken marsala recipe sometime in the next few weeks.