Monday, May 17, 2010

The Simple Things

I failed the other day. I went into a bookstore and did not buy a book, let alone the three or four I was impulsively planning on acquiring in the afterglow of a promotion and decent raise. Modern Times is a bright, friendly Valencia Street bookstore with a hip alternative vibe; you would think I could find something. But I realized I could not commit to wanting any of the books I looked at in the store, not without stretching my excitement level into the fictional realm. Yes, this does have something to do with food.

What I was feeling was this burgeoning desire to simplify things. This has also influenced my cooking choices in small ways. For instance, the recent salad of strawberries, red peppers, and spinach, when I found myself holding back from thinking of more items to throw in the mix.

Tonight, I wanted something for dessert, but I didn't want anything too sweet. It just didn't appeal to me. So I went with strawberries and cheese, and a glass of red wine. I thought of taking a picture, but because I was cooking just for me, I didn't think of it until afterwards. Oh well.

It was a good combination to cap off a light dinner consisting of a burrito from Taqueria Cancun and a salad.

But much as I went out a few days after Modern Times and bought four books at Books, Inc. at the Opera Plaza, I'm going to break open the pint of ice cream in the freezer now.

2 comments:

big E said...

Made me laugh out loud!

nylesaur said...

Burritos from Taqueria Cancun do not a light supper make...BUSTED!!