Sunday, November 7, 2010

Chicken or Pasta? Why Compromise?



"Anything but seafood." That was Marina's response to my inquiry as to what she would like for dinner on her return from a week's trip to Mexico for work. This was not just because of the prevalence of fish in her Mexican dining options, but also the fact that people constructed a three-kilometer fish burrito outside of her hotel window. As you can imagine, this colored her perception of fish for the moment.

This left a choice of chicken or pasta. But I decided to be daring and combine the two, and not just in the frying chicken to be served over instant couscous paradigm. After some internal debate and exhaustive recipe research--I browsed through THREE magazines--I settled on this recipe for Chicken Puttanesca With Fettucine. I have no idea what Puttanesca means, but it sounds serious and sophisticated, doesn't it?

I also needed an appetizer appropriate to celebrating the Giants winning the World Series, but since I couldn't find any gigantic crackers, and any cheese colored orange and black would raise some questions, I settled on Drunken Goat, as I already knew it was delicious, and I'm sure there were many post-Series parties in which people acted like drunken goats.



Cooking the pasta and slicing the chicken into one inch pieces were simple tasks, as much as trimming fat from chicken and slicing it can be considered simple. Then came the question of gathering the ingredients. It asked for a quarter cup of pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives. Apparently you don't measure this before chopping the olives:



Which I guess makes sense, especially because it is hard to pour olives into a measuring cup without letting all the olive juice out of the jar too. Drain first, then chop, then measure, Marina taught me. How counter-intuitive. Also, apparently you can buy pre-pitted kalamata olives. This would have been useful, yes, but I'm not some kitchen lightweight who can't pit his own olives. I can't pit them tidily, true, but I pit them just the same.

As the chicken cooked, I added the sauce, the capers, the chopped olives, and the crushed red pepper. I was a bit worried that the capers would be overwhelming, as the lemony scent suffused everything for a bit. However, it seems like that scent simmered out by the time it was all done.

Visually, it didn't look much, until the garnish was added. What a difference a garnish of fresh basil made!



The only thing with this was that the noodles didn't separate quite as much as they should have, as the package said to cook for three minutes, and the recipe then had me set them aside while cooking the chicken and sauce mix. Otherwise, it was a sucess, a light but warm and tasty meal for a late Saturday night.

What sort of twists on the chicken/pasta combination do you like?

4 comments:

Marina said...

yes the city of La Paz in Baja was aiming to break the record for the world's longest burrito!

Roni said...

Go to www.cookingforengineers.com and search for 'chicken mushroom marsala.' It's crazy good and crazy easy. One of my favs!

Anonymous said...

I love chicken marsala too but do you serve it with pasta? The yummy sauce does want something to soak it up - could be couscous or rice or a baguette... or I guess even fettucine alongside.
I find you can not believe the cooking times on packages - especially not up here at 3500 feet! I just test and test until by the time it's done I have had a whole serving's worth of pasta. :o(
Puttanesca, from the Italian word "puttana," meaning prostitute! yes, you had fettucine prostitute- style. Something that is puttanesca - there is a reason, but damned if I can remember it. Something to do with the ingredients a lady of the night would be likely to have on hand? If I find the answer I will tell you... next Saturday! :o)

Anonymous said...

Now i remember. "Prostitute style" because it could be quickly thrown together between, er, chores...