Monday, December 5, 2011

Firefish? Try Hire Fish!

On visiting Santa Cruz, you will come across the Municipal Wharf, a long platform sticking WAAAYYYY out into the water on wooden pilings, where sea lions lounge on the beams supporting the structure and you will find all sorts of souvenir shops, kayak tour groups, and a wide assortment of dining options, from seafood to Mexican to a wine bar to seafood.

The setting is sensational. You might be concerned, though, that the restaurants would trade quality of location for quality of food, figuring tourists would be too entranced by the memory of rides at the Boardwalk and views of pelicans and sea lions to notice what they were eating.

Nevertheless, I've always wanted to check out more of the dining options on the wharf. I've gone many times to Gilda's for breakfast, because on our visits, we always stayed at the Dream Inn, right next to the wharf, and Gilda's makes for an irresistible breakfast destination for someone like me who likes coffee cheap and plentiful and a side of pancakes with my pancakes. And of course, the view of the water is a delightful novelty.

Since we moved to Santa Cruz, I've also tried the takeout window at the Dolphin. Marina was out of town, and I wanted to do something other than my usual solitary dinners at home, so I walked to the wharf, and the Dolphin, whose name has always intrigued me, caught my eye. I ordered fish and chips and a beer to go, before I saw the signs on the garbage can that said no beer allowed. I must have misread it, or else no one really cares, because they handed me a can of Corona and a plastic cup. When I got the fish and chips, I had to eat and drink quickly, and not just because I wasn't sure I should be drinking a beer in public. As soon as I sat down at a picnic table, hiding the beer can within the plastic cup--yes, in retrospect, there was probably a better strategy--I felt like a celebrity stalked by paparazzi. That's right, I compared paparazzi to a swarm of raucous, greedy seagulls. Not fair, I know, because seagulls are perfectly innocent creatures. I apologize, seagulls. Still, I would prefer you didn't hassle me for my fish and chips.

So that marked two restaurants I had sampled. A week or so ago, Marina and I were walking towards the lighthouse along West Cliff Drive, and I suggested we walk to the wharf for dinner. I had seen an advertisement in the morning's paper advertising a Local's Special at the Firefish Grill. Lots of tempting menu options, particularly the chicken dishes.

When we arrived, we found a cozily-lit establishment, plenty of space between the tables. We had a good view of the water even from our table in the middle of the room. The server brought some menus that didn't seem to include the specials; when I mentioned the item in the paper, she said, "Oh, yes, the locals' specials," and brought the appropriate list, which means that I had successfully verified my Santa Cruz residential creds. Huzzah!

In the end, though, none of the locals' specials could tempt me after I saw the fish and chips, battered in Anchor Steam. I ordered the fish and chips to follow the sweet and mellow mojito, and to accompany the Anchor Steam-battered entree, I ordered . . . an Anchor Steam. And as an appetizer, we sampled some of the best garlic bread I've ever had, light and buttery, with just the right amount of crispiness.



The garlic bread whetted my appetite for the fish and chips, which were the best I can remember having in some time, not too greasy and flavorful, accompanied by a small portion of coleslaw and excellent fries.



So far, the Wharf is off to a great start. Gilda's is a favorite and I loved Firefish. The Dolphin I could maybe take or leave, and would probably try a new place first before going back. It's all about the fish and chips on the wharf for me. Well, that and breakfast.

Have you had amazing fish and chips experiences? If so, where? I need to know these things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sonds so tempting! I hope you'll take me there when I visit.